What’s up Doc? Are you ready to Boogie Woogie? Where are you gonna’ go to flip your lid and listen to some cool Daddy-O go 18-karat on his axe? The Enchantment Under the Sea dance, of course. When it comes to a homecoming spirit week theme for schools, Enchantment Under the Sea is the bee’s knees.
For those of you who may have forgotten, the Enchantment Under the Sea dance is a fictional dance from the film “Back to the Future.” The dance was held at Hill Valley High School in 1955 (hence all the Daddy-0 and bee’s knees business). Here are 7 reasons why Enchantment Under the Sea is the perfect homecoming spirit week theme for schools?
1. Is there anything more fun than a 1950s-style dance? It gives all the teachers the chance to dust off their dance moves and do the Lindy Hop.
2. In “Back to the Future,” Hill Valley High School was trying to save the town’s beloved clock tower. While your school newspaper may not be printing headlines like “Save the Clock Tower,” chances are there’s something in your town or school that needs to be saved, fixed, or replaced. Spirit week is the perfect time for a community Lend-O-Hand day.
3. Marvin Berry and the Starlighters was the band at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance in “Back to the Future.” Shouldn’t high school spirit week host a Battle of the Bands?
4. Admission for the Enchantment Under the Sea dance in 1955 was $1.00. Why not have a day during spirit week when everything sold at the student store or snack bar has 1950s prices.
5. There was no iPhone, Facebook, or any other type of social media technology in 1955. What better way to illustrate the connectedness and camaraderie of high school spirit week than to host a Day without Technology?
6. Just like George McFly and Lorraine Barnes, some high school couple is sure to fall in love. Why not have a 1950′s inspired Heart-O-Gram day.
7. “Be There or Be Square.” It’s the perfect slogan for a 1950s Slogan Shirt Day, so get creative. See more Homecoming Shirt Ideas here.
And you never know. The special guest might be none other than Calvin Klein. No, that’s a joke. But if you haven’t seen “Back to the Future” in a while, you may want to dig around for those old VHS tapes. Go Daddy-0!
Check out these Enchantment Under the Sea Homecoming Shirt Designs.